Tsavo West National Park
Tsavo West National Park also reffered to as “Land of Man-Eaters”
Located in coast province 240km from Mombasa and only 250 km from nairobi(via mtito andei gate),Tsavo West national park is a wilderness park with an area of 9065 sq km.
This beautiful wilderness encompasses of Mountains and hills, savanna bush and semi arid desert scrub, acacia woodland, palm thickets rivers a Lake and rocky ridges including the Poacher’s Lookout where visitors can see the teeming herds in the plains below.
A vibrant volcanic arena; molten lava that form Shetani lava spewed from the earth just about 200 years ago and its fiery fury was thought by locals to be work of the Devil.
Tsavo West National Park offers some of the most magnificent game viewing in the world and attractions include elephant, rhino, Hippos, lions, cheetah, leopards, Buffalos, diverse plant and bird species .
In addition to these,you can explore the caves and experience the underwater hippo and fish watching.
Take a walk and experience the gallons of crystal clear water gushing out of from the under parched lava rock(Mzima Springs) a must see on the things to do in Tsavo West.
Accommodation varies from budget medium and high end lodges/camps ,it all depends on the clients pocket .
Just like Tsavo East National Park in terms of accessibility the park can be accessed from both Mombasa Nairobi Or Voi.
How to get there
- Distance: 240 km from Nairobi, 250km from Mombasa (Mtito Andei Gate).
- Roads: The main access routes are through Chyulu Gate from Amboseli and Mtito Andei Gate from Nairobi.
- From Mombasa you can use Tsavo Gate near Manyani,Taveta – Voi road through Maktau, Ziwani and Jipe Gates.
- By Air/Airstrips: Kamboyo, Kilaguni, Tsavo Gate, Jipe, Kasigau,Finch Hottons, Ziwani, and Maktau airstrips are in good.
- Gates: Tsavo, Lake Jipe, Mtito Andei (Kamboyo HQ), Chyulu, Maktau and Ziwani.