03 days Gorilla Trek – Lake Kivu Safari
ITINERARY AT A GLANCE
03 days Gorilla Trek – Lake Kivu Safari – Full Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival Kigali – City Tour/Volcanoes National Park
Meet and greet Services by our representative.After a short briefing, embark on a morning sight-seeing tour of Kigali City.
Visit the Kandt museum, see old Kigali and the craft centres then visit the genocide memorial site.At the end of the city tour, enjoy lunch at one of Kigali’s popular restaurants, or at the Hotel Mille Collines – depicted in the film “Hotel Rwanda”;the hotel became famous after 1,268 people took refuge inside the building during the Rwandan Genocide of 1994.
After lunch,drive north-west of the country to the Volcanoes Mountains. (94km, 2.5hrs).The national park is known as a haven for the mountain gorilla and the golden monkey besides this it is also home to five of the eight volcanoes of the Virunga Mountains (Karisimbi, Bisoke, Muhabura, Gahinga and Sabyinyo), which are covered in rainforest and bamboo.
The park was the base for the zoologist Dian Fossey.Dinner and overnight
Upmarket: Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge www.governorscamp.com; or similar
Mid-Range: Mountain Gorilla View Lodge www.3bhotels.com; or similar
Day 2: Volcanoes National Park – Gorilla Trek/Lake Kivu
Early breakfast at your lodge. 0645hrs:You will be transferred to the park headquarters for registration of your gorilla trek and allocation of the particular gorilla family to visit. After registration and allocation of a gorilla family, the trekkers are put into groups – each group’s Lead Guide briefs the trekkers of the trekking procedures as well as the “do’s and don’ts” while in the presence of gorillas. After the briefing, trekkers return to their respective vehicles for the drive up the mountain to the trek start point, or Trail-Head.
Upon sighting the gorillas, you will stay with them for a magical one-hour as they go about their daily life, feeding, playing, resting; raising their young.
Coming face to face with a giant silverback must truly be one of the greatest wildlife experiences on earth! The Ultimate Experience!!Lunch and proceed to Lake Kivu the largest of numerous freshwater lakes that shimmer in the valleys of Rwanda.
Birdlife around the lake is fantastic including large numbers of pelicans, crowned cranes, malachite kingfishers and much more.
Dinner and overnight
Overnight on Full-Board basis
Top-Range: Lake Kivu Serena Hotel www.serenahotels.com; or similar
Mid-Range: Gorillas-Lake Kivu Hotel www.gorillashotels.com; or similar
The Volcanoes area is located at an altitude of over 2,400 meters above sea level.
It is extremely chilly in the early mornings and evenings – warm clothing is therefore necessary.
While trekking, it can rain unexpectedly – it is necessary therefore to have:
Water-proof clothing (jacket, with hood + trousers);water-proof Zip-Lock bags for Cameras/Film/Passports/Money, e.t.c..Hand Gloves (warm and water-proof), to keep hands off from rain and dripping vegetation;
as well as protect from stinging nettles
Hiking boots – with good mud-grip are most appropriate (shoes/boots of clothing material
will certainly become wet and uncomfortable.
Gaiters – to protect your trek trouser legs and boots against mud/wetness;
Sun glasses not necessary during the trek;
Any valuables (carried on the person and not necessary during the trek), may be entrusted
with your driver-guide for safe-keeping for the duration of the trek.
03 days Gorilla Trek – Lake Kivu safari – APPLICABLE RATES:
Validity: 01st January – 15th December
|Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge||Mountain Gorilla View Lodge ( MGVL)|
|EACH OF||High||Mid||Low||All Year|
|3 Pax Sharing||2005||1810||1480||840|
|6 Pax Sharing||1850||1650||1330||680|
|Single Room Supplement(SRS)||500.00||410.00||60.00||260.00|
Sabyinyo Lodge Seasons
- High season: 01st June–31st October + 16th–31st December
- Low/Green season: 01st April–31st May
- Medium season: 01st January–31st March + 01st November-15th December
|GORILLA PERMIT cost NOT included in above quote.
The applicable cost is:
NB: Gorilla permits are only confirmed upon payment of a deposit – Non-Refundable;
03 days Gorilla Trek – Lake Kivu Safari – Quote Includes:
- Airport Arrival + Departure transfers and assistance;
- Kigali City Tour on Day 01; (inclusive of applicable fees)
- Extra Lunch on Day 01, after the city tour;
- 01Night Accommodation at the Volcanoes, on Full-Board basis;
- 01Night Accommodation at Lake Kivu, on Full-Board basis;
- Private Transport in a 4×4 Land-cruiser;
- Services of an English/French-Speaking Driver-Guide;
- Bottled Drinking Water during the safari (in the vehicle) and while trekking;
- All taxes on the services quoted above.
03 Days Gorilla Trek – Lake Kivu Safari Quote Excludes:
- Meals and beverages, other than specified;
- Gorilla Trek Permit; (Cost given separately from main quote)
- Any other sight-seeing activities or accommodation, other than indicated;
- International, regional and local Airfares + Airport taxes;
- Passport and visa fees and service charges for obtaining visas;
- Excess baggage charges levied by airlines;
- Gratuities to driver/guides and other conveyance attendants; .
- Laundry and other items of a personal nature such drinks, telephone calls, e.t.c.;
- Personal and baggage insurance;
- Cost of any other item/s not specifically mentioned or listed above.
Our past clients had this to say about their experience with us